Dear Voters of the 4th Norfolk,
I’m writing to introduce myself. I’m a mom, a Democrat, and a candidate for State Rep in the 4th Norfolk, which includes parts of both Weymouth and Hingham. I grew up in Georgia, and my husband and I moved to the South Shore in 2009. We chose Hingham for the easy access to public transportation and the beautiful coastline. Our son was born here in 2011, and we realized this would be our home forever.
If there is anything this pandemic has shown us, it’s that we must look out for each other in a coordinated, consistent, and reliable way. For ourselves, our children, and our future, we have all the building blocks of a stronger society in the Commonwealth right now. We have the wherewithal to build a social safety net that includes full healthcare coverage for all. We have the education and experience to address climate change. We know what it will take to ensure the trains run on time, that people are paid fair wages, and that homes are available and affordable to everyone. Massachusetts can make real progress toward a better day if we just try.
I’m running for State Rep because our district deserves to have real representation on Beacon Hill. Our state representative should be a forward-thinking leader who actively solicits the opinions of her constituents and brings their concerns, their ideas, and their solutions to the legislature every single day. Our state representative should be actively engaged in the community, visible and friendly at community events, approachable and accessible to all her constituents. I will be that state representative.
I very much hope to earn your vote this September. Please call, email, text, or contact me via social media if I can answer any questions or help you in any way. We can’t talk in person, but I am happy to chat via phone, text, or email any time. We will get through this, and we will work hard to come back stronger than before.
- Town-appointed member of the Hingham Water Supply Committee since 2016
- Hingham Democratic Town Committee Member since 2017, State Convention Delegate 17-19, Parade Chair 18-19
- South Shore Action Steering Committee Member since 2017
- Mass Women’s Political Caucus South Shore Vice-Chair since 2019
- Col. Lothrup Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution Member since 2018, Constitution Week and Communications Chair 2019
- Campaign manager to the Dr. Katie McBrine for State Senate campaign, 2018, and advisor to many other South Shore campaigns in the year since
- PhD in English
- Former Shopper Marketing and Consumer Insights Consultant. For more of Melissa’s resume, see LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/melissabsmith/